Monday, July 2, 2012

The Mega Losers

The Mega Losers is a group of four women who decided to put together a weight loss competition at work. In a nutshell, they all throw $100 in a pot and the person who loses the most weight by the end of the 12 week period wins.  When I caught wind of this competition I approached one of the participants and offered to start training her once a week.  She accepted.  After our first training session the other three caught on to what we were up to and asked if they could join.  Of course I said yes.  Now we all train twice a week.  Every Tuesday and Friday right after work in our company parking lot.

Here is our very first workout:

Session 1 (60 mins):

Warm up:
200 meter run

Form a straight line – all working:
ü  Pull knee up into chest
ü  Butt kickers back

ü  Samson stretch
ü  Side lunges left to right
ü  High knees back

Form a line – one person working at a time:
ü  Karaoke
ü  10 wire box step ups
ü  Karaoke

ü  Leap frogs
ü  10 air squats
ü  Leap frogs

With a Partner:
ü  Squat hold & 20 OH squats 
ü  Switch
ü  Plank (sub hollow hold for bad wrists) & 20 Sit ups
ü  Switch

Skill work:
ü  Jump Rope

Movement work:
ü  Thrusters

WOD:
6 minute AMRAP
ü  10 Dumbbell thrusters
ü  10 curb jumps
ü  10 Mountain climbers 
ü  100 meter run


I learned a lot about my Mega Losers (that's what they call themselves) during this workout.  From the very beginning some of them were complaining about how their feet hurt from the 200 meter warm up run.  I did not anticipate this.  In my head I was thinking "how do I scale down a warm up run??"  I don't want them the just be walking.  I've learned to come up with quick substitutes for movements that can put someone at risk of an injury, but I was stumped at this one.  I told them they just need to start getting used to running (hoping that was the right advice).  Turns out, 12 weeks later they are all sprinting 400 meters as their warm up and not complaining about it at all.  I actually think the warm up run is now their favorite part of the workouts now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment