Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Why I Crossfit

Do you ever feel like you are just going through the motions of "working out" when you get to the gym?  I did.  I had about 4-5 routines that I rotated through each week.  It worked for a few months, meaning I was seeing results like my shoulders getting bigger and other muscle groups getting more defined.  However, I was missing two crucial elements in my workouts:

1: A workout out partner, someone to push me harder than I would push myself.  Also someone who could spot me to help me lift weights that are heavier than I am used to and also for safety (not letting a dumbbell fall on my face).

2: Constant variation in my workouts.  Chest and shoulders were my favorite routines so I often hit those more often than others.

Both of these elements were covered when I started crossfit and in a big way.

The definition of crossfit as I remember it from my first weekend of on-ramp (the intro to crossfit classes) is "functional movements that are constantly varied and completed at a high intensity."  First off, you don't just get one workout partner when you join crossfit.. you get about 10 to 15 plus a couple of coaches each time you go in.  Every day I know that I'm pushing myself harder than I normally would if I were to attempt the same workout on my own, guaranteed!  Second, each workout is different.  There are hundreds of different movements in crossfit, some you love, some you hate and you never know what you're gonna get.  Adding these two elements back into my workout routines has  worked really well for me.  I honestly feel like I am the strongest and in the best shape of my life right now and there is always going to be room for improvements.

Here are some examples of movements I never thought I'd be able to do before crossfit forced me to challenge myself.

Muscle ups
15 meter handstand walk
Clean and jerk 215 #'s
Butterfly pullups
Double unders

If you are thinking of starting crossfit my advice is JUST DO IT! Look up crossfit gyms in your area and call them/email them right now and ask when the best time to drop into a class would be.  Then GO!  You don't not need to be in shape before you go.  No one will yell at you and make you cry or puke.  Every workout can be scaled to your level of fitness.  So stop making excuses!!  Oh yea, it's a lot of fun too and you'll meet some pretty cool people.

No comments:

Post a Comment